Every home should have a GoBag- a collection of things that you may need in the event of an evacuation. A Go Bag should be packed in a sturdy, easy to grab container such as a backpack or suitcase on wheels. If you have to leave your home in a hurry make sure that it is accessible at all times.
- Copies of your important documents in a waterproof container (insurance cards, photo IDs, proof of address, copies of prescriptions and a list of medications that you or your family have to take, passports, record of bank accounts, record of financial holdings)
- Extra set of car and house keys along with any other keys that you feel are required
- Credit and ATM cards and cash, small denominations. Recommended amount is between $50.00 and $100.00 on hand.
- Bottled water and non-perishable food such as granola bars
- Battery operated AM/FM radio and extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Contact and meeting place information from your preparedness plan, and a small regional map, discuss communications plans with family members whether they live in your house or not. It’s best that everyone knows how to reach each other. Example; If we need to leave the house in an emergency we will go to either (immediate area location) or (distance location). Also, use an out of town contact that you will all check in with, in case of an event that’s regional in scope.
- Special care items
- Capability to stay informed, check county or city websites, if you have to be away from the area, email contacts work well.